Here's the best recipe I've been able to find for Scottish shortbread. My father's parents came over from Scotland in the early Twenties and my grandmother's shortbread was second to none. Unfortunately, her recipe left this world with her. This recipe is close to that of my grandmother's. Enjoy!
1 lb Butter
1 1/4 cups Sugar
1 cup Rice Flour (Slade's is best if you can find it)
4 cups All Purpose Flour (I prefer Gold Medal)
1. Pour the sugar over the butter and let stand at room temperature until the butter is soft. Do not try to rush this step!
2. Mix the two flours together and then blend in the other ingredients.
3. Knead forever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
4. Roll out to 1/4" on a floured board.
5. Cut into desired shapes and prick with a fork.
6. Bake on an ungreased cookie sheet for 20 minutes at 350F, watching very carefully to prevent overcooking.
7. Allow to cool before serving.
Soup Salad Entree Pies Cakes Cookies Misc. Shrimp Curry Salad Spaghetti &Meatballs Creamy Peach Pie Creamy Nut Filling & Frosting Butterzueg Mom's Cheese Ball Mom's Lasagne Cream Cheese Pie Kahlua Cake with Coca Cola Frosting Peanut Blossoms Pesto Deviled Eggs Pesto Lasagne Chocolate Cinnamon Pie Black Joe Cake Springerle Cornish Pasties Shrimp Scampi Key Lime Pie Lemon Lime Icebox Cake Scottish Shortbread Welsh Rarebit Grilled Shrimp Apple Pie Rum/Bourbon balls Boysenberry Ice Spinach Feta Quiche Cherry Pie Double-Chocolate Brownies Rice Crispy Treats Cantaloupe Ice Käsespätzle Lemon Meringue Chocolate Chip Cookies Cantaloupe Ice Cream Cheese Enchiladas Peanut Butter Cookies French Breakfast Puffs Chocolate Mousse Snickerdoodles Gretchen's Salsa Chicken Enchiladas Wendy's No-bake Cookies Anna's Artichioke Dip Royal Lunch Milk Crackers Chicken Cacciatore Meringue shells Chocadamia Coconut Delights Pan de bono (Columbian Cheese Bread) Chicken Kiev Pecan Puffs Blue Cheese Dressing Chicken Imperial Hamentashen Swedish Spritzbaaken Dips Southern Fried Chicken Dutch White Ginger Cocktail Sauce Chicken a lá ling Gingerbread Boys Eggnog Chicken and Dumplings Scones Almond Roca Beer butt chicken Mom's Rye bread